Tuesday, March 1, 2011

stock up the shop: marushka

This caught my eye as I was treasure hunting the other day.
Something about that signature took me back to my childhood.
I'm sure we had something in our house by Marushka, but I have yet to chat with my mom about it. In the meantime, I've done some research on the subject. These Marushka prints were very popular in the 1970s. They are clearly inspired by Marimekko and Tampella and such, but many have this cool woodland vibe, featuring various birds and trees. Plus there are skiers, canoes, sailboats, etc. So Midwestern...which makes sense because they're based in Grand Island, Michigan.

Here are some links if you're interested in reading or seeing more:
Marushka blog has tons of information and images.
Marushka flickr pool where anyone can add shots of their finds.

And now for something super fun! The Marushka company still exists, but they now print only on clothes. Visiting the website, you can choose your style and your image. Here's what I chose today: 
Now I definitely need to go to the beach!
~ Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback on anything you see fit. Thanks, and come back soon!