Saturday, October 22, 2011

stock up the shop: yellows and blues

So, since starting my stock up the shop posts, I've noticed that the purchases seem to "go" together aesthetically. Not every piece, but when I place them on my table to take a photo, I'm struck each week at how nicely they fit together as a little grouping. Interesting, I think. I wonder why? Does this happen to you?

Seems like yellows and blues are the thing this week:
My camera focused funny in the dim Saturday evening light. Sorry for the not-so-crispy image. Here's what I rounded up today:
- Tensor mod "eyeball" lamp (I'm excited to see how this one cleans up.)
- Awesome set of four mint 70s stoneware mugs (Japan I assume...and what IS with all the mugs lately?)
- Gemco giant cream and sugar set in the Pyrex "Butterfly Gold" Pattern (What was that I said about C & S sets last week?)
- Heller glass canister (Gathering up a little collection here...to sell or keep, such a dilemma.)
- Metlox oval bowl (Has a really pretty, almost periwinkle, interior glaze.)
- Copenhagen Porcelain B&G Mors Dag 1974 commemorative plate (Mother's Day...adorable little polar bear cubs snuggling/suckling up to mama bear.)
- Silver clown bank

In my October 1 post, I showed a little wooden humidor I came across. It turned out to be a bit of a treasure, one of those "Should I, Shouldn't I?" moments. Just posting on this blog generated a bit of interest I wasn't prepared for. It turned out to be a highly collectible piece designed by Jean Gillon for Wood Art -made in Brazil in the 1960s. I ended up selling it on Ebay because I wasn't sure how to price it. I'll do a little feature post on it someday.

I don't want to get into the purchase price vs. sale price thing, but I always love that sense of following your gut feeling when treasure-hunting, that feeling of intrigue you get when you find something that seems like it might be something special, but it might very well be not so special. Thought it might be fun to highlight these experiences when they come along...the successes and failures...to provide perhaps some information, or maybe just a good laugh at my expense! :)

~ Jenny

13 comments:

  1. I believe it is so important to feature the failures along with the successes! I think a lot of people think you either constantly find expensive things or you don't. It really does take some failures to recognize the "good stuff"! When I had my first big find, and not much after that, my boyfriend said to me, "Maybe that's just a once in a lifetime kind of thing." Let's just say he has been proven wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving that gemco cream pot! design is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we stay at this long enough, we're all going to run across some treasures at a steal of a price, and we're all going to overpay for something we thought was a treasure but turned out to be junk. It just goes with the territory.

    However, I do think we start to develop a certain intuition after a while, or maybe it's that we've handled enough really nice things over time to get a sense of what quality items look and feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sassy clown bank but I love the creamer and sugar set. Nice treasures. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that yellow light. So cool. It is hard to know what to pick up and what to leave - I guess we have all left behind something of value without even knowing it. I have decided to just buy the things I love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice finds - love the canister too - great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the lamp! I am such a fan of lamps! Beautiful finds. I am intrigued by the coin bank too, I think you were right at taking it. Best of luck with it! And thank you for your comment on my blog! I'll post the snowball votives at the store when I catch up with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mod ball lamp too! I hear you on the "going with your gut" while thrifting... it's part of the excitement to not know whether or not you have something great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little clown bank is a cutie. I like the Metlox bowl, too. I think after a while you do tend to get the right vibes from things and it's best to follow your instincts. I do have to like the item, though, in order to follow through with my feelings. That way, if it's a "dud" but it's a pretty dud, then I'm still happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your yellow eye ball lamp, if that wouldn't cheer you up on a grey day I don't know what would...
    It looks perfect against the blue interior of that Metlox dish which I also really like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had that same sugar bowl when I was a kid. I've never seen the matching creamer though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG... I love that cream jug - it's adorable, good find!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback on anything you see fit. Thanks, and come back soon!